Sunday, July 11, 2010

Gardening and Arugula Pesto

This morning I cleaned one of my garden planters in the front yard to get ready for lettuces. I had arugula (aka rocket) there all spring and summer up until a few days ago. I had just a few cups of arugula left so I made some pesto and stuck it in ice cube trays and froze it overnight then placed in plastic bags. (Will keep for a good three months in freezer)

 
***ARUGULA PESTO*** 

*4 c arugula 
*1/4 c nuts - whatever you like - pinenuts are the norm but I actually used mixed nuts, it is what I had on hand 
*1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese (use vegan to make vegan pesto, or omit)
*1/4 c EVOO - use your good stuff for this recipe
*one garlic clove (or two if you really love fresh garlic) 
*S & P to taste 

Place arugula, nuts, garlic and Parmesan cheese in food processor until just shy of smooth - while your food processor is running slowly add your EVOO - process until well blended - taste - add S&P - taste again - adjust your s & p - should look like green beautiful applesauce 

So, in my cleaned garden bed I planted two lettuce mixes made up of Beet Bull's Blood, Spinach Bloomsdale Long-Standing, Lettuce Red Salad Bowl, Lettuce black-Seeded Simpson, Mustard Tendergreen, Ashley, Prizeleaf, Royal Oak Leaf, and Salad Bowl. We should be eating some delish lettuces in 35-45 days. I'm excited. I'm also working on cleaning out the big garden in the backyard. Bugs have tore it all to hell. All of my squash, zucchini, corn and half of my tomatoes are gone. My eggplant is doing really well. I was surprised because this is my first year to try to grow eggplant. Easy shmeasy. Can't wait to plant my fall crops.

No comments:

Post a Comment