Homemade Granola is so easy!! Your kids could make it! Lots of measuring and dumping...
2 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 ounce unsalted butter (about 1/4 of stick) (plus a little tad extra)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
6 1/2 ounces dried fruit (any combo)
1. Butter/Or "Pam" a 8x8 glass baking dish and set aside. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Spread the oats, sunflower seeds, almonds and wheat germ onto a sheet pan. Place in the oven and toast for 15 minutes - stirring every 5 minutes.
3. Combine the honey, brown sugar, butter, extract and salt in a a small pan and place over medium heat. Cook until everything has completely dissolved.
4. Once the oat mixture is done - remove from oven and reduce heat to 300. In a large bowl add the oat mixture and the liquid mixture. Stir well. Add the dried fruit to the mixture, stir. Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish and press it firmly down (I use the bottom of a glass to make it all even). Bake 25 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and cool completely - about 2 hours. Cut into squares, chunk it, make bars - whatever you want. It firms up really hard in the fridge. Keep in an airtight container for a week or two.
This went FAST at our house...
For my fruit mixture I used a combo of dates and coconut :) It was really good. This recipe can be tweeked in SO MANY ways! Just think of the combos of different extracts and fruit...endless ideas!