Thursday, March 22, 2012
Homamade Granola - Cranberry Coconut
I posted my original granola earlier in the month - This is another version of the granola.
2 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup wheat germ
3/4 cup honey
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 ounce unsalted butter (about 1/4 of stick) (plus a little tad extra)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
6 1/2 ounces dried fruit (any combo)
1/2 cup puffed rice cereal
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1. Butter/Or "Pam" a 8x8 glass baking dish and set aside. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Spread the oats, sunflower seeds, almonds and wheat germ onto a sheet pan. Place in the oven and toast for 15 minutes - stirring every 5 minutes.
3. Combine the honey, brown sugar, butter, extract and salt in a a small pan and place over medium heat. Cook until everything has completely dissolved.
4. Once the oat mixture is done - remove from oven and reduce heat to 300. In a large bowl add the oat mixture and the liquid mixture. Stir well. Add the dried fruit, chocolate & puffed rice cereal to the mixture, stir. Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish and press it firmly down (I use the bottom of a glass to make it all even). Bake 25 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and cool completely - about 2 hours. Cut into squares, chunk it, make bars - whatever you want. It firms up really hard in the fridge. Keep in an airtight container for a week or two.
For my fruit mixture I used coconut and cherry flavored cranberries.
This probably could fit in a 11x9 pan a lot better than the 8x8.