Monday, January 17, 2011

Pear Sauce Cake

We are not a part of a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) but in a way we are a part of what I call a FSA...Family Supported Agriculture. My parents, my sister & my grandpa all have gardens. We are always trading vegetables. This year I took up canning. My sister did also. So now, not only do we trade vegetables - we trade canned goods. I traded a jar of pickled peppers and some strawberry preserves for a jar of pear sauce and a jar of halved pears. My sister told me the pear sauce was good...but I had no idea...IT WAS AMAZING!! So much better than apple sauce. She gave me a large jar so I had plenty for eating and then some. So I made this: *One cup veg oil *1 1/2 C sugar *1 1/2 C brown sugar *1 vegg *3 C flour *2 t baking soda *1/2 t salt *1 t cinnamon *1 t ground nutmeg *2 t vanilla *2 C pear sauce Preheat oven to 325. In a bowl beat the oil and sugars. Beat in the vegg. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon & ground nutmeg. Stir the vanilla into the pear sauce. Add the sifted dry ingredients and pear sauce alternately to the oil & sugar mixture - mixing very well each time. Pour entire mixture into a greased & floured 9x13x2 rectangular pan. Bake for one hour at 325 or until your toothpick comes out clean - cake will be springy & will start to pull away from the edges of the pan. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into squares to serve - top with whipped cream. SO GOOD!!! If you don't have pear sauce - use apple sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment