Thursday, August 8, 2013
Strawberry Vegan Ice Cream
* 2 1/2 cups frozen or fresh strawberries
* 2/3 cups white sugar
* 1 tablespoon orange juice
* 1 cup almond milk, divided
* 1/2 cup coconut milk (located in the dairy section)
* 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
* 2 teaspoons corn starch
* Heat 2 cups of strawberries in a pot with the sugar and juice. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3-5 minutes (until the sugar is fully dissolved). Remove from heat and let cool. Once cooled puree in a blender. Then pour into a bowl.
* Mix 1/2 cup almond milk and corn starch in a small bowl, set aside.
*Heat 1/2 cup almond milk, 1/2 cup coconut milk & coconut extract until simmering. Add the corn starch & almond milk slurry to the heated milk. Keep on low-med heat for about 5 minutes, whisking often to prevent burning.
*Pour milk mixture into the strawberry mixture bowl. Let the milk & strawberry mixture set in the fridge for about 30 minutes, to cool even more.
*Chop the last 1/2 cup of strawberries - add to your strawberry & milk mixture. Pour all into your prepared ice cream maker. Let it run for about 25 minutes.
*Eat now or put your ice cream in a freezer container until you are ready for use.
***I topped mine with mini chocolate chips. My husband topped his with chocolate syrup. I bet toasted coconut would be delicious also. You could change this up to make this your recipe. Use different milks, extracts (vanilla, orange, almond) or berries (blueberries, raspberries) - limitless options!